- This event has passed.
Beyond the Bars – 2018
March 1 - March 4
Join SOUL Sisters for Beyond The Bars: Closing Jails and Prisons on March 1st – 4th, 2018.
The 8th annual Beyond the Bars Conference of the Center for Justice at Columbia University seeks to contribute to the growing movement to close jails and prisons as a part of the larger struggle to end mass incarceration. In particular, we will focus on elevating the efforts led by grassroots organizers that include formerly incarcerated and directly impacted people.
Prison and jail closings have been taking place unevenly throughout the United States over the past decade. However, campaigns like the ones in New York, Los Angeles, and Milwaukee have helped to usher in a new phase, one that highlights the role of grassroots organizing and directly impacted leadership, and that has begun to put forth a more transformative vision of how to close jails and prisons and what comes in their place. Momentum for lasting change is building. Organizers, activists and scholars have been grappling with many of the deeply seeded issues related to incarceration and criminalization. From the movement to close youth prisons entirely, to centering the fight for racial justice, to highlighting the ways that women and lgbtq community are impacted, to focusing on the elderly inside prisons with long sentences that are about punishment not safety, to interrogating the effectiveness of punishment in reducing violence, we are at a moment where we are able to make concrete advances in reducing the carceral footprint.
It is our hope that this conference will bolster these efforts in the following ways:
- Convene and support a national network of people and organizations working to close jails and prisons across the country
- Help articulate a vision and analysis for closing jails and prisons and what comes in its place
- Address and examine some of the difficult issues and questions that arise in the efforts to close jails and prison
- Further catalyze university involvement in the struggle to end mass incarceration
- Thursday March 1st: Ending the Incarceration of Women and Girls
- Friday March 2nd: Building the Movement with Patrisse Khan-Cullours
- Saturday March 3rd: Closing Jails and Prisons
- Sunday March 4th: Building the Grassroots